Sunday, January 23, 2011

Using Yahoo Mail With Your Favorite Mail Apps

I am a Google Mail user, but before it, I was using Yahoomail first. I really didn't care about Mail Apps before, never used one for free mails. I've used MS Outlook, but it was limited to my office POP3 mail. And for those who were old enough to have used Netscape, you may be familiar with Eudora as well. Never mind those who said "Nets... what?", you where too young to access the internet then.



Here is where the problem comes in. I've been using my Mac Mail with GMail for quite some time (um, ever since I've switched to Mac). It worked perfectly, since this was already my primary free email. I was contented with my Yahoo Mail as a browser only mail, since I only use my Yahoo account for messaging. So contented that I didn't even bother integrating my account to my Mail App... Until today. My wife asked me if it was possible to have her email integrated in the Mac's Mail app, since she was used to just having her email pushed in her iPhone. 

Hmm, I haven't tried that out yet, I bet it would be as simple as setting up my GMail. Not! It turns out Yahoo wants you to pay extra for the POP3 server, its called Yahoo Plus, and I have no intention of paying for a free email. 

By default, Mail automatically determines what email you are using, and when it finds out your using Yahoo Mail, it will automatically connect you to the Yahoo Plus email POP3 and SMTP servers. Here's what to do:

1. When you add an account, fill out the Name, Email Address and Password. But uncheck the Automatically setup the account.

2. On the incoming server choose IMAP as the account type and not POP.

3. Replace "plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com" with "imap.mail.yahoo.com". You username and password should work, no need to replace it. If it doesn't try using your username without the "@yahoo.com"

4. Click continue, and replace "plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" with "smtp.mail.yahoo.com".

5. Click continue, and that should do it. Wait for the mail to come.

These are the same settings that the iPhone and Android Phones use. So I thought, if it works on the iPhone, it should work on the Mac too, and probably on Microsoft Outlook as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment