Monday, August 23, 2010

Magic Jack not so Magical Anymore

After a while of not using my magic jack, I didn't have an idea on how much it has changed since the last time I've used it.


Since the very beginning, Magic Jack and my Apple Mac didn't really get along that well. Every time an update become available, upgrading the Mac version has always been a mess. I always wonder, why the heck do they need to update the software that often? I just needed to make calls. For the past months I was able to somehow get around it. But it wasn't easy, specially for a non tech savvy person. I didn't rely on the automatic updates it got. I've always downloaded the latest one from their website, and install it manually.

This time, its a bit different, after updating and re-registering (for the Nth time), I wasn't successful. I tried manually downloading the update from their website, and it took soooo long for it to get downloaded. For an 11.6 MB software, 30 minutes to an hour of downloading was way too much. I don't have a slow connection, I can download other apps like Quicktime or iTunes from Apple faster, and those were much more than 11 MB.

In the end all I got was a message saying that my OSX version is not supported. WTF? I'm just using a OSX Leopard version, it can't be that old? How come Yahoo and Skype still supports my Mac?

Their website says, "works with Intel Macs", apparently not all, they could have just said "only works with the latest Intel Macs ... so old Intel Mac sissies, this is not for you". So, if your a 100% Mac user (not using the latest Macs), stay away from Magic Jack, they have a crappy Mac support.

I still don't get it, they have XP support but not Leopard? XP is like a pre Intel Mac. ... sorry, can't get over it, looks like I have to call my Dad over my cellphone again (rack up the bills).

No comments:

Post a Comment